Do these both mean exactly the same thing?

何時に子どもを迎えますか
何時に子どもを迎えに行きますか

“When do you pick up your child?”

I suppose the second says “when do you leave to pick up your child” more precisely?

If so, is that the difference between the two? I don’t know which form to use in general conversation and what sounds less or more “wooden”.

The verb 迎える alone can mean to go greet someone, but the meaning is closer to "welcome" or even "herald". So, if you say 子供を迎える, it actually means to "welcome a child into your life".

For the more everyday occurrence like picking up your child, it's more natural to say "子供を迎えに行く".

• Thanks, although I do not know yet what -ku means here. I need to learn this grammar still.
    – buddhabrot
    Sep 30 '20 at 11:27
  • Still, is it correct to assume -ni ikimasu is generally preferred and more natural than using the verb immediately, when it involves a certain action?
    – buddhabrot
    Sep 30 '20 at 11:28
  • -ku is just the base form (the stem) for the verb 行く(いく) from which you can conjugate the polite form 行きます(いきます).
    – asa9ohan
    Sep 30 '20 at 13:28
    It depends on the verb you are using and the context of the sentence. -ni ikimasu is not always necessary or natural. However, you can understand adding "-ni ikimasu" as meaning "leaving to ______" or "going to _____".
    – asa9ohan
    Sep 30 '20 at 13:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.