Japanese is the only language that I know in which "different" is not an adjective but a verb (違う). I know some young Japanese are using 違く as the adverb, as if 違い were an adjective, but I am not sure if that is grammatically accepted one or not, and I would like to avoid it.

So, I wanted to say "sang differently" in Japanese, and what I could think of was "違って歌った", but is it correct? I know there is an expression like "違って見えた" (looked differently), but in that case, it could be interpreted as "違っているように見えた", and I cannot explain exactly but that seems different from the verb sang.

In short, is "違って歌った" correct? If not, what is the correct way to modify the verb 歌う with a word for "differently"? Or do I have to work around it like "違う方法で歌った"?

• 違って歌った would mean "was different and sang" or "sang so that it was different". – broken laptop Sep 27 '20 at 7:58

I would say [違]{ちが}う[歌]{うた}い[方]{かた}をした.

違うふうに歌った would also make sense.

違って歌った doesn't make much sense.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.