I've been trying to self-translate the lyrics for Secret Base, and this line somehow confuses me.

突然の 転校で どうしようもなく

What exactly is the use of the で here? And what is its translation?

Please indicate your own research efforts, what you think it might mean, etc. Otherwise it looks like a direct translation request which is off-topic. – istrasci Sep 17 '20 at 18:55

で here functions like "due to".

it would be nice if you could elaborate your answer a bit more! – Felipe Oliveira Sep 18 '20 at 1:28

Let's try to break the sentence into parts.

突然 can be called a の-adjective (more on that here). There are myriad connections that の can perform (not just the usual possessive one). If you're interested in all the possible meanings of の, I recommend checking the book A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.

転校 is a name, which is being qualified by 突然. All in all, the group 突然の転校 is a name, meaning "sudden change of school".

どうしようもなく comes from どうしようもない, which means "there's nothing that can be done about it". ない is an adjective, and although the く form normally changes the adjective into an adverb, it can also be used to connect sentences (more on this here), similar to the て form.
As a side note, the stem of a verb can also be used to connect sentences.

From here, it's easier to grasp the meaning of で: it's connecting the two sentences. For nouns and な adjectives, you used で for connections such as 賑やかで大きな町 (a lively and big town).

Summarising, the sentence means

There's nothing I can do about the sudden change of schools. (lit. there's a sudden change of schools and there is nothing to be done about it)

Edit:

The previous example connected two な adjectives, but it can be equally used to connect sentences/ideas (as is the case in the OP sentence). Here's a better example, taken from a college website:

やましたせんせいはにほんじんで、よんじゅっさいぐらいです。

I don't think this answer is correct. This is not the で used to connect な-adjs. Even if 突然の 転校 was a 形容動詞, there isn't another one after it. This is the で used to mean "due to" or "by/with". For example, 「包丁で野菜を切る。」 would mean "To use a knife to cut vegetables. That's why 突然の 転校で どうしようもなく would mean "There was nothing I could do about changing schools." – Shurim Sep 17 '20 at 18:47
  • @Shurim I gave the example by connecting adjectives, but it can connect sentences/ideas as well. I'll update the answer with a better example, but I'm not saying で is connecting two な adjectives. I stated "it's connecting the two sentences". – Jak Sep 18 '20 at 12:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.