This a line from "good morning call"

その横で平気な顔していられるか?

Next to that can you wear a cool face ?

How would one explain ~て いる in its potential form ~て いられる ?

I understand it as "Next to that can you be wearing a cool face ?"= so a nuance of ability/potential with emphasis on being a continuing action rather than say 顔できる [can wear a face] which is more declarative.

Am I correct ?

You are correct that していられる is the potential form of the している. However, you cannot replace it with できる. できる removes the progressive tense that している expresses. For example:

平気な顔ができる。
To be able to make a calm face.

Although maybe you could argue that with context, this sentence would mean something more natural, but it sounds like someone saying that they "can physically make a calm face."

平気な顔している。
Making a calm face.

平気な顔していられる。
To be able to keep making a calm face.

So, for your example, it would instead mean to "keep making a calm face" because it is the potential progressive form of the verb する. I'm guessing something very surprising or scary happened, so this sentence expresses "There's no way I/could maintain a calm expression."

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.