I came across the following sentence:

ワタシをわすれちゃいやだよ

I'm guessing it means something like:

You forgot me!

But what is happening / what is the meaning with the being attached to ちゃう's verb stem?

• If that is the case what is いや? Because I would expect だめ, いけない, or ならない instead of いや – Tylersansan Sep 16 at 5:59
  • I deleted the comment because I didn't want to be answering in the comments, but いや is this jisho.org/word/%E5%AB%8C – Leebo Sep 16 at 6:02
  • I'm not sure I follow. If I expand わすれちゃ to わすれては the only grammar I know that uses this is the setup for Must not X and then I would expect だめ, いけない, or ならない following it. For example, I would expect the expanded version of the above to be something like わすれてはだめだ (You must not forget) – Tylersansan Sep 16 at 6:21
  • Other things can follow ては, since it's just another form of conditional, but I'll let someone else answer. – Leebo Sep 16 at 6:27

Pretty sure ちゃ is the shortened form of ては. では/ては can be used in a similar way to the conditional たら, but only for negative results. For example:

忙しい時に、仕事を休まれては困ります。
It will be a problem if you skip work when we are busy.

There are many other ways to use this grammar point, including what you mentioned in the comments.

そうしなくてはいけません。
そうしなくちゃいけません。
You have to do it that way.

For your example, if you expand the sentence, it should become:

私を忘れてはいやだよ。
If you forgot me I would feel bad. (literal translation)
I don't want you to forget me. (natural translation)

いや・嫌 here just expresses that the speaker is emotionally opposed to this happening. So "If you forgot me, I would have negative emotions." I hope this helps :)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.