I was watching Hello World on Netflix when I encountered 親睦会. Googling it, I learned that a similar word, 懇親会, exists. I would like to ask if the content of this article is reliable.

Thank you in advance!

According to several online articles Google showed to me, people who believe they are different seem to say 懇親会 is more official/formal/serious (like ones held at a hotel after a business conference or a 入社式), while 親睦会 is more casual/private (like 合コン, お花見, etc). I also feel 懇親会 sounds slightly more formal, but perhaps not many people distinguish them seriously in daily life. In my opinion, it's perfectly fine to call a casual izakaya party a 懇親会, and vice versa.

• Thank you naruto-san for your quick reply :) In that case, I will put 親睦会 in my active vocabulary list and 懇親会 (being slightly more formal and less useful given my current interaction with native speakers) in my passive vocabulary list. – rebuuilt Sep 15 '20 at 13:00
    @rebuuilt Google Imageの結果にもほとんど差はないですね…「懇親会」の方がほんのちょっとだけスーツの人が多くて会場が豪華な気もしますが、気のせいかも…。 – naruto Sep 15 '20 at 13:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.