I was reading some comments on this Youtube video and this comment in particular had a bunch of likes:

かんーわええのぅ。

I looked it up and it translates as "I don't know" on Google Translate.

Can someone explain this one to me? I looked up the parts like かん on Jisho but it still doesn't make much sense. I just started learning so I'm probably just missing something basic.

What was the video about? It could be an extreme bastardization of 「かわいいな」if it involved something cute. – JansthcirlU Sep 15 '20 at 8:59
  • It was a video about a red panda. Funny that Google Translate got it so wrong. – Logan Sep 15 '20 at 17:16
    Google translate getting it wrong is not unusual. – user36788 Sep 15 '20 at 21:42

かんーわええのぅ。。 鼻水までもが愛おしく見える。世界いちかわいいよー。

They meant 「かわいいな。」/「かわいいなあ。」, "Wow that's cute." They wrote it in an emphatic, lengthened, and nonstandard (dialectal or classic) way. (な/なあ indicates 詠嘆/exclamation. Related post here.)

(What they meant is also clear from the last part of their comment, 「かわいいよー。」)

いい often changes to ええ in western dialects. Related: this and this.

The のぅ is the sentence-ending particle / 終助詞「のう」. See デジタル大辞泉. (Don't confuse this with 終助詞「の」.) Please see also this and this. It corresponds to standard/modern な、なあ or ね、ねえ. (デジタル大辞泉 says: 近代以降は「ね」「ねえ」「なあ」が一般化し、現在では主に、方言として西日本で用いられる。) This のう is still heard in some western dialects, but it can also sound old-fashioned and is often used as 老人語/old man's speech, a kind of 役割語/role language in fiction (and this may be why someone has responded to it 「おじいちゃん目線w」).

• Thanks! I appreciate the detailed response. – Logan Sep 17 '20 at 5:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.