How should I interpret this?

点だった知識が線につながることを経験していただけたら幸いです

In my mind, mostly it seems like, based on -tara:

If 《 condition 》, then you are fortunate.
Or: when 《 condition 》, I am fortunate.

On the other hand, I've also thought of it as, in a literal translation: When you have come to experience the point of knowledge as connected by the line, you are fortunate.

Google translate gives: I hope you will experience that the knowledge that was a point leads to a line.

Is there a different reading to 幸いです?

Also should I view koto as こと( 点だった知識が線につながる) or こと(線につながる)? As in, to what extent does koto nominalise the phrase?

Welcome to JLSE! Unfortunately, as stated, this question is likely "off-topic", as it is a translation question that demonstrates arguably no prior research effort. Please see japanese.stackexchange.com/help/on-topic. Therefore, please could you edit your question to include your attempt at the translation, and explain which bit specifically you are having trouble with? This way, it will less likely be deemed off-topic. The reason behind this rule is that Stack Exchange wishes to help people (you, and others reading your question) learn, instead of being a free translation service.
    – henreetee
    Sep 14, 2020 at 18:42

1 Answer 1

~たら幸い【さいわい】です (or ~れば幸いです) literally means "it's fortunate if ~". But you should memorize this as a common set phrase that is usually translated into English as "I would appreciate if ~" or something along these lines. It is one of the politest ways to request something in Japanese, and people use this phrase mainly in business letters and formal invitations.

Google Translate's result ("I hope you will ~") is also correct, although it's a bit simplified.

• Sasuga !!!!!!!!
    – furikaeru
    Sep 15, 2020 at 4:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.