I have problems understanding how いざ...や works in the following sentence.

たとえ部長からの文書だろうが、そんなもの(経費報告書)は認められるわけがない、と新田は思った。ところが、いざ抗議文が届く、上司は主張を全面的に認め、そのケンカは新田の完全敗北で終わったのであった。

I'm quite sure that it means something like "Even if it was the document of the department head, Nitsuta thought, it would never get approved. But when a written complaint actually arrived, his boss fully acknowledged the claims and the dispute ended with a complete loss for Nitsuta."

but when I tried to determine the exact meaning of いざ...や I couldn't find a fully satisfying explanation. For いざ I am pretty sure it fits the explanation ① of weblio (https://www.weblio.jp/content/%E3%81%84%E3%81%96) indicating that something reached a certain stage/a development came to a critical point but I can't really make out why や is added afterwards... Is や only added for emphasis similar to the explanation in this thread? 桜桜ーいざや and ゆかん meanings But if so, how does it work? Could I use いざ...や every time I wanna emphasize that it "actually came to ..."?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.