両親一人で日本に行かせてくれた

My parents let me go to Japan alone

And

両親一人で日本に行かせてもらった

My parents let me go [after me asking] to Japan alone

• it’s 両親が...くれた and 両親に...もらった.
    – A.Ellett
    Sep 9 '20 at 23:35
    what i meant by that comment was that 両親 gets parsed with the verbs くれる/もらう and not the verb in the causative, いかせて. though really they both go hand in hand however the grammar of が vs に is driven by the verb of giving or receiving expressed, not the causative.
    – A.Ellett
    Sep 9 '20 at 23:41
  • I think you need to step back a little and first learn the basics of that grammar くれる/もらう and then start adding it to てform, causatives, and so on. Sep 10 '20 at 1:54

くれる basically means "to give", and もらう basically means "to receive". Let's think about this with simpler examples:

• 両親が私本をくれた。
    My parents gave a book to me.
  • 私は両親本をもらった。
    (= 私は両親から本をもらった。)
    I received a book from my parents.

In the former, the subject is 両親, and in the latter, the subject is 私. Both has に, but these two に play different roles. When you use もらう, the に-marked argument marks the giver. This is a basic rule of how もらう works.

Now, if we replace 本を with 一人で日本に行かせて, we get these:

• 両親が(私)一人で日本に行かせてくれた。
  • (私は)両親一人で日本に行かせてもらった。
    (両親から no longer works because no physical object is transferred.)

These are the sentences you are asking about. In the latter, you can see the に-marked argument still marks the giver (of favor).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.