I recently listened to a song named アザトカワイイ and I started asking myself about the grammar behind this one simple phrase.

According to this site, the title means "Cunningly Cute" which makes sense because cunning in Japanese is あざとい, an い-Adjective.

But then I learned that you actually take the stem and add く to the adjective to make an い-Adjective into an Adverb.

I'm really confused right now LMAO Every input will be appreciated! Thanks in advance! ^~^

You're correct that the adverb is made by the stem + く. That being said, songs are a tricky subject: almost every rule can (and often will be) broken. Another example, a song named 「美しき残酷な世界」. Normally, you'd say 美しくて, but 美しき is an older, fancier way of saying (not used in commonly these days, though). – Jak Sep 7 at 0:43
    @Jak 美しき残酷な世界 or 美しい残酷な… are correct too in terms of grammar. く and くて are not the only way. – user4092 Sep 7 at 4:07
    @user4092 I didn't mean to imply it was "incorrect" grammar-wise. Sorry if it came across like that. Only that it's not the common way, similar to using "yonder" or "thy" in English. – Jak Sep 7 at 11:18

It's a compound word from the stem of あざとい combined with かわいい, in other words, one word.

Edit: It means to be cute in a manner that you boldly show yourself that way.

| improve this answer | |
  • What does it mean though? :o – minty港 Sep 7 at 4:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.