So recently I've met a Japanese person whilst playing League and we started to talk a bit over the group voice chat. Although my Japanese is still at a very basic level we understood each other pretty well. Anyway, because I was talking to a friend on Discord at the same time in another language he was understandably confused, so I tried to clear things up by saying "日本語を話してないときはDiscordでともだちと話している" (Whenever I'm not talking Japanese, I'm speaking to a friend on Discord). He seemed to understand what I meant to say so I left it at that. A few days later though I finally started learning about "たら", "なら" and "ば", and I remembered my conversation with the Japanese guy. Would using "たら" instead of "とき" have been the better choice?.

「日本語を話してないときはDiscordでともだちと話している」 is already a fairly good sentence. (Perhaps you could've said 別のフレンドと, but this is not a big mistake.) You don't need to use たら/なら/ば. Your English version doesn't have "if", after all.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.