So I started playing Steins;Gate in Japanese the other day. And in one of the Tips about a character from the 雷ネット翔 , キラリちゃん is described as

頭が良くて、スポーツ万能。しかもカワイくて性格も〇

(But inside of 〇 is another circle...)

Image of the circle in circle

I don't know how to pronounce it and what it means...

• I read that as 抜群、ばつぐん. – Ken Y-N Sep 1 '20 at 7:09

After doing some investigation, it seems that there are two Unicode characters which are made of a circle inside another circle:

• ◎ U+25CE BULLSEYE
  • ⭗ U+2B57 HEAVY CIRCLE WITH CIRCLE INSIDE

In this Japanese context, only the first one ◎ appears to be appropriate (Wiktionary), since it is known as 二重丸【にじゅうまる】 and is defined as 「とても良いことを示す記号。」, which suggests that it is indeed a stronger (double) variation of the more commonly used symbol ○ 丸【まる】「良いことを示す記号。」(Wiktionary).

So, 性格も◎ can probably be understood as something like "very good character too"...

• How would I read that? – Simon Richter Sep 1 '20 at 9:04
    @SimonRichter にじゅうまる as above. – broken laptop Sep 1 '20 at 9:44
  • @broccolifacemask-cloth, even in a sentence like in the OP's picture? – Simon Richter Sep 1 '20 at 12:28
  • @SimonRichter Yes, that's what I'm used to do. – broken laptop Sep 2 '20 at 1:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.