I'm playing a game and someone said:

あらぁ! そう言ってホントは色男のカラダ目当てなくせに~!

My confusion comes in with 目当てなくせに. I understand that くせに means even though, despite, although, etc and I understand that 目当て means aim, goal, etc and is only a noun according to Jisho. But based on the grammar rules for くせに I see that the particle should be used with nouns, so I expect 目当てのくせに and that doesn't seem to be the case.

So can 目当て be used like an な-adjective or am I missing something and skewing the meaning of the sentence?

How I read it in English:

Well! That's sort of the truth, although the goal is for sexy male bodies.

Just for context, 3 people are explaining a side business where they help people become "new and better versions" of themselves.

色男のカラダ目当てくせに also makes perfect sense. 目当て as a suffix works both as a no-adjective and a na-adjetive. For example お金目当ての犯罪 and お金目当てな犯罪 refer to the same thing, although the former sounds more formal. The same can be said with some similar suffixes like 運動嫌い(な/の), ゴミだらけ(な/の).

And くせに takes not only nouns but any other predicates (eg 強いくせに, 寝ていたくせに, etc), including na-adjectives (eg 簡単なくせに).

This sentence is saying the other speaker is hiding the true objective. It's like this:

そう言ってホントは色男のカラダ目当てなくせに~!
You're saying so, but {I know / the truth is} you're interested in sexy male bodies!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.