In programming is very common to say things like "create an issue", "open a ticket", when you are asking for help or want to create a "topic" about the problem you wanna solve.

I realized that here in Japan people say things like:

イシューを切る。イシューを切ってください。イシューを切っておきました。etc

Reference

I assume 切る here means something like "Create" or "Open", is it correct? I tried looking on Jisho but the meanings there do not seem to fit.

Also, are there other words that take 切る with a similar meaning?

Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/47682/5010
    – naruto
    Commented Aug 28, 2020 at 10:22
    Interestingly I think “cut a new issue”, while never really used, is understandable in English too, by parallel to “cut a record” or “cut a check”. “Cut a new release” is used. Commented Aug 28, 2020 at 13:57
    It's funny that I can understand it though people around me never use it. That said, I think 切る is more naturally used in ブランチを切る "create a branch". Commented Aug 28, 2020 at 14:36
  • @broccolifacemask-cloth Oh I didn't know you could say ブランチを切る as well, thank you!! Commented Aug 29, 2020 at 14:44

1 Answer 1

I think it corresponds to the 8th definition of 切る on jisho.org:

to issue (stamps, vouchers, etc.)

(But this "stamps" should be a translation mistake. We say 小切手を切る but not 切手を切る. 小切手 and 切手 are completely different.)

デジタル大辞泉 and 明鏡国語辞典 give exactly the same definition (伝票や小切手などを発行する), but 明鏡 also describes the etymology:

伝票や小切手などを発行する。「小切手[伝票]を━」

切り離して発行することから。

So 切る meaning "issue" is used with "ticket-like" things because cutting a ticket meant using it. "Ticket" is another name for what GitHub calls "issue", so this should be straightforward.

• To issue a ticket makes a lot of sense, thank you!! It is just that the people that use it in my workplace (Japanese coworkers) always say 「issueを切っておいてください」, so it went over my head that I could think of it as "ticket" to make the connection of "issue a ticket", because "issue an issue" sounded a bit weird. Commented Aug 29, 2020 at 14:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .