In programming is very common to say things like "create an issue", "open a ticket", when you are asking for help or want to create a "topic" about the problem you wanna solve.

I realized that here in Japan people say things like:

イシューを切る。イシューを切ってください。イシューを切っておきました。etc

Reference

I assume 切る here means something like "Create" or "Open", is it correct? I tried looking on Jisho but the meanings there do not seem to fit.

Also, are there other words that take 切る with a similar meaning?

Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/47682/5010 – naruto Aug 28 at 10:22
    Interestingly I think “cut a new issue”, while never really used, is understandable in English too, by parallel to “cut a record” or “cut a check”. “Cut a new release” is used. – Darius Jahandarie Aug 28 at 13:57
    It's funny that I can understand it though people around me never use it. That said, I think 切る is more naturally used in ブランチを切る "create a branch". – broccoli facemask - cloth Aug 28 at 14:36
  • @broccolifacemask-cloth Oh I didn't know you could say ブランチを切る as well, thank you!! – Felipe Oliveira Aug 29 at 14:44

I think it corresponds to the 8th definition of 切る on jisho.org:

to issue (stamps, vouchers, etc.)

(But this "stamps" should be a translation mistake. We say 小切手を切る but not 切手を切る. 小切手 and 切手 are completely different.)

デジタル大辞泉 and 明鏡国語辞典 give exactly the same definition (伝票や小切手などを発行する), but 明鏡 also describes the etymology:

伝票や小切手などを発行する。「小切手[伝票]を━」

切り離して発行することから。

So 切る meaning "issue" is used with "ticket-like" things because cutting a ticket meant using it. "Ticket" is another name for what GitHub calls "issue", so this should be straightforward.

| improve this answer | |
  • To issue a ticket makes a lot of sense, thank you!! It is just that the people that use it in my workplace (Japanese coworkers) always say 「issueを切っておいてください」, so it went over my head that I could think of it as "ticket" to make the connection of "issue a ticket", because "issue an issue" sounded a bit weird. – Felipe Oliveira Aug 29 at 14:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.