I came across the paragraph in NHK:

ただし、国内では電気自動車のシェアは現状では1%に満たず、日本自動車工業会のまとめでは、去年国内で販売された乗用車のうちハイブリッド車が147万台余りだったのに対し、電気自動車は2万台余りにとどまっています。

ハイブリッド車などと比べ依然として割高な価格を引き下げることや充電スタンドなどのインフラを整備することが普及の条件ですが、車自体の性能や商品力を高められるかもメーカーにとっては課題となりそうです。

I have my doubts regarding the use of か ,も and in the second paragraph.

From I could figure out by breaking the sentence down, I think か and も are working separately, but I might be wrong and it could be かも.

I broke the last sentence after the comma this way:

車自体の性能や商品力を高められるかもメーカーにとっては課題となりそうです。

car itself の performance や merchandise power を can be enhanced か(question) も(too) or かも(may) + maker にとっては issue + becomes + seems + is.

• i believe かも here is an abbreviated form of かもしらない.
    – A.Ellett
    Aug 28 '20 at 2:54
  • @A.Ellett I had no idea they would use かも abbreviated like this in a news article like this, specially when the article itself seems somewhat formal. Aug 28 '20 at 3:27

This is a question marker used to form an embedded question. Everything before か forms a noun clause working as the subject of the sentence. is just "also" which replaced the subject marker が. かも meaning "maybe" does not exist in this sentence.

• 車自体の性能や商品力を高められる
    Whether they can improve the performance and appeal of the cars themselves

• also
  • メーカーにとっては課題となりそうです。
    will be a challenge for the manufacturers.
  • naruto: in your translation shouldn't it be "seems like it will be a challenge for the manufacturers" because of そう ? Aug 28 '20 at 22:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.