Reading in NHk I came across this paragraph, and I cannot make out the meaning of キリ:

さらに堀埜社長は、7月、異例の値上げに踏み切りました。といってもほとんどは1円から数円の値上げ、中には値下げした商品もあります。看板メニューの「ミラノ風ドリア」は299円から、300円に。

値上げのねらいは、「釣り銭を減らす」こと。すべてのメニューを50円単位のキリのいい金額にすることで会計がスムーズになり、客と店員との接触の機会が減って、安心につながるというのです。値上げ後、釣り銭を6割削減する効果があったそうです。

Personally, I think it could be related to 切り which means END, STOP, BOUND, so when I broke the sentence down it resulted in this:

すべてのメニューを50円単位のキリのいい金額にすることで会計がスムーズになり。。。 all menu を 50 yen unitの END, LIMIT? のgood amount of money に doing で accounting が smooth に becomes.

But I am not sure.

You should probably add what you think it might mean, what you've researched, etc. Otherwise it may be closed as a translation request. – istrasci Aug 26 '20 at 19:02

You're right; this usage of キリ is related to the first definition of 切り in 大辞林

きり 【切り・限▽り】 一 [2] ( 名 ) ① 物事がそこで終わりになる切れ目。区切り。ひと区切り。 「 -のいいところでやめる」 「 -をつける」

The first usage example in the definition above is particularly relevant. 切りのいいところでやめる means to stop doing something at an opportune or logical moment – for example, when one step in a multi-step process has been finished, rather than right in the middle of a step. Somewhat similarly, キリのいい金額 refers to an amount of money (金額) that is what we would call a round number in English. In this particular case, it's clear from context that it means a price ending in -00 or -50. So ¥1550 or ¥300 would be キリのいい金額, while ¥1552 or ¥349 would not.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.