I wonder how the (common) Noun+する verbs, e.g. 勉強する, are perceived by native speakers, especially children before the start of the formal education.

1. In the manner similar to English "to do homework" where there are clearly two separate parts - a noun and a verb "to do" ("do" is inflected and additional words can be inserted before "homework", e.g. "I've done my homework")

or

1. as just a single unit which inflects similarly to the verb する, which will be along the lines of "normalize" in English where it's clear that it is derive from "normal", since this derivation scheme is productive in English, but is clearly an inseparable semantic and syntactic unit. Another example would be future tense inflection in French, which is historically derived from "avoir" following verb infinitive but have fused completely with the infinitive and is now perceived as part of word.

I know that を can be inserted between the noun and the する part, but I am not sure how common this is and how this fact affects speakers' perception.

I've looked for similar questions but haven't found any

Here is some reference material about restrictions on suru-verbs formations https://www.imabi.net/suruverbs.htm. It says that some nouns require を, some forbid it and some are more lenient

When the particle を is required, する is interpreted literally. This する is sometimes called a 重動詞 (heavy verb) in contrast to when it is just a grammatical item. Notice that the words that only take をする are specific activities: 強盗, テニス, 野球. Are these nouns then made verbs? No, they're obligatorily marked by を and are thus functioning as direct objects.

So, I would guess I am talking about the "non-heavy" verbs

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .