I am reading this manga called Spy x Family; In one of the pages there is a car accident caused by a failure of the car break, resulting in the death of a Diplomat.

Later in a meeting, the following sentence is spoken:

だが当局は東の極右政党による暗殺と見ている。- But the authorities see it as an assassination by the eastern far right political party.

So my question is: Is して omitted in と見ている? Or is it a different piece of grammar I am not aware of?

Is it ok to say として見ている or として見られている here?

No, して is not omitted. 見る is one of the verbs that take AをB(だ)と. The following sentences roughly mean the same thing:

• 当局は(この事故を)東の極右政党による暗殺だと見ている。
  • 当局は(この事故を)東の極右政党による暗殺見ている。
  • 当局は(この事故を)東の極右政党による暗殺として見ている。

Please see also: Difference between だと vs と before 認める

• So it is basically the same as 「当局は事故を東の極右政党による暗殺だと見ている」right? I did not know about this grammar, thanks a lot! – Felipe Chaves de Oliveira Aug 20 '20 at 9:03
    @FelipeOliveira Yes, but I don't know if it's fine to say "だ has been omitted" in this case. In English, "to regard it as an assassination" is a complete phrase on its own and it's not a contracted version of "to regard it as being an assassination", right? Likewise, I tend to feel それを暗殺と見る is a complete phrase. – naruto Aug 20 '20 at 19:16
  • True, makes sense! Thanks again!! – Felipe Chaves de Oliveira Aug 21 '20 at 1:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.