There are several different words for “clothing” in the dictionary. Kimono is a type of traditional Japanese clothing, while fuku refers to Western clothes. Hifuku is more general and covers all clothing. Koromo is a less commonly used word than the others.

At least I think this is right based on what I read in the dictionary. Are these definitions right, and are there other words that also mean “clothes”?

• : The most neutral, generic, daily word for clothes.
  • 衣服: Formal version of 服. 「衣服のお手入れ」「世界の衣服の歴史」
  • 洋服: (Western) clothes we normally wear. It's almost synonymous to 服 in ordinary people's daily life. 「洋服売り場」
  • 和服: Japanese clothes (including kimono, hakama, samue, ...)
  • 衣装: Costume (for stage performances, role playing, etc), dress (the kind of outfits that celebrities wear in public) 「ステージ衣装」「コスプレ用の衣装」
  • 着物: Originally referred to clothes in general, but this usually refers to that Japanese formal kimono today.
  • お召し物: Honorific word for 服.
  • 被服: Basically an even more formal or academic version of 衣服, but strictly speaking 被服 also includes shoes, hats, gloves and such.
  • : Archaic word for 服 (especially simple ones) or coats. Used mainly in samurai films or hardcore fantasy.
  • (ドレス: Almost exclusively refers to formal party dress for ladies.)

Note that 被服 and 衣 are definitely not words you would use in everyday life.

The above words are "wearable" (i.e., you can say ~を着る).

• 衣料品/衣類: Daily clothing/underwear as merchandise or physical objects. 「スーパーの衣料品売り場」「衣類部門の売り上げ」
  • 服装: Overall outfit one is wearing. 「派手な服装をしている」「服装が乱れている」「事件当時の彼の服装」
  • 服飾: Fashion/dressmaking as a field of business/expertise 「服飾専門学校」「服飾店」
  • アパレル: Loanword version of 服飾. 「アパレルショップ」「アパレル関係の店で働く」
  • OPのHifuku (被服) が抜けてます… Aug 20 '20 at 2:47
  • @broccolifacemask-cloth ありがとうございます、追記しました
    – naruto
    Aug 20 '20 at 16:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.