The closest I have been able to figure out, through google searches, how to write out the phrase "become one with shadow" is Hitotsu Ni Naru Kage (一つになる影). Is this correct? If not, how would one say this?

In regards to closing this question, I think that if we are going to hold a consistent standard of prior research and effort, this question got short changed. The OP clearly did their own research on this problem, as a simple trip to google translate returns: translate.google.com/…
    – ajsmart
    Sep 2 '20 at 13:25

You're pretty close, but not quite there.

一つになる影 is not become one with shadow. The reason for this is because if you use the structure verb (plain form) + noun, the English equivalent is noun that verbs. Here's an example:

マラソンを走る人
Person/people that run(s) marathons

Therefore, your attempt translates as follows:

一つになる影
Shadow that becomes one.

What you need is a little bit of reordering, and a particle that means with as well. In Japanese, that particle is と. Simply put the と particle after a noun, and you get the result you seek. Please note this is just one of several uses for the と particle, the other functions you will have to research separately. So here's an example:

彼と店に行く。
Go with him to the store.

Extending these changes to your attempt yields:

影と一つになる
Become one with (your) shadow.

Context here matters. If you're talking about someone trying to hide in their shadow, the 'your' will be added in translation even though the Japanese doesn't change. If you're talking about a ninja becoming one with shadow to infiltrate an enemy camp, the Japanese won't change, but the translation will reflect this. As you study the Japanese language, you'll get a feel for what is and is not implied.

Hope it helps.

I found this extremely helpful. Would that mean Kage ni Nari 影になる would mean "become a shadow"?
    – Walter
    Aug 23 '20 at 20:02
    I'm assuming that you initially meant to write kage ni naru instead of kage ni nari since your translation was correct. There's no particular nuance here, so yeah. "Become shadow" is my first thought of translation but you could insert a/the in there without any problems. Depending on the rest of the sentence, you may insert a/the to make it flow better.
    – ajsmart
    Aug 23 '20 at 21:29

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.