Since ぢ in spellings was merged into じ in modern kana usage, じや/ぢや, じゆ/ぢゆ, and じよ/ぢよ were merged into じゃ, じゅ, and じょ.

That made me wonder, what about ぢゃ/ぢゅ/ぢょ? They exist, and I found them present in gojuuon hiragana/katakana charts geared at Japanese kids (referred to by the charts as あいうえお ひょう)

I can't think of any rendaku words that start with ちゃ/ちゅ/ちょ - if anything these sounds invoke a strong Chinese feeling and on'yomi comes to mind immediately.

When I type dya/dyu/dyo, and I hit the 変換 key on my keyboard, the only thing that shows up are the katakana and halfwidth/fullwidth roman variants of what I typed.

Does anyone know if these kana, ぢゃ/ぢゅ/ぢょ (ヂャ/ヂュ/ヂョ) are used in modern kana usage?

1 Answer 1

Is ぢゃ/ぢゅ/ぢょ used in modern kana usage?

Off the top of my head:

ぢゃ -- 「[御飯]{ごはん}[茶碗]{ぢゃわん}」「[湯呑]{ゆのみ}[茶碗]{ぢゃわん}」「[芝居]{しばい}[茶屋]{ぢゃや}」「[三軒]{さんげん}[茶屋]{ぢゃや}」

ぢょ -- 「[一本]{いっぽん}[調子]{ぢょうし}」「[盆]{ぼん}[提灯]{ぢょうちん}」「[小田原]{おだわら}[提灯]{ぢょうちん}」

ぢゅ -- I can't think of any (except 大手まんぢゅう and ぼてぢゅう)

• Interesting! Do you know why 茶 exhibits rendaku? I know the rules of rendaku are confusing but I remember hearing that only 和語 and 音-訓 compounds exhibit rendaku. The fact that ちゃ, an on'yomi reading, exhibits rendaku, is a little confusing to me Aug 16, 2020 at 5:08
    ん?音読みも連濁しません?(Though probably less commonly?) [者]{しゃ}→患[者]{じゃ}、 [心]{しん}→用[心]{じん}、 [本]{ほん}→文庫[本]{ぼん}、 [会]{かい}社→株式[会]{がい}社、 [産]{さん}→早[産]{ざん}、 [国]{こく}→戦[国]{ごく}、 [所]{しょ}帯→男[所]{じょ}帯、 [試]{し}合→練習[試]{じ}合、 [拍]{ひょう}子→手[拍]{びょう}子、とか・・
    – chocolate
    Aug 16, 2020 at 16:46
  • Ohhhhhhhh, I see. The rules of 連濁 are so confusing... I've never been able to wrap my head around it haha Aug 16, 2020 at 19:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .