Since ぢ in spellings was merged into じ in modern kana usage, じや/ぢや, じゆ/ぢゆ, and じよ/ぢよ were merged into じゃ, じゅ, and じょ.

That made me wonder, what about ぢゃ/ぢゅ/ぢょ? They exist, and I found them present in gojuuon hiragana/katakana charts geared at Japanese kids (referred to by the charts as あいうえお ひょう)

I can't think of any rendaku words that start with ちゃ/ちゅ/ちょ - if anything these sounds invoke a strong Chinese feeling and on'yomi comes to mind immediately.

When I type dya/dyu/dyo, and I hit the 変換 key on my keyboard, the only thing that shows up are the katakana and halfwidth/fullwidth roman variants of what I typed.

Does anyone know if these kana, ぢゃ/ぢゅ/ぢょ (ヂャ/ヂュ/ヂョ) are used in modern kana usage?

I can't think of any rendaku words that start with ちゃ/ちゅ/ちょ -- [中]{ちゅう} → [中]{じゅう}とか? [日本]{にほん}+[中]{ちゅう} → [日本中]{にほんじゅう} みたいな・・ – Chocolate Aug 16 at 1:19
  • Ah, interesting. But it turns into じゅう, not ぢゅう, right? – LittleWhole Aug 16 at 1:34
    そおですねえ。。じゃ、[湯呑]{ゆのみ}+[茶碗]{ちゃわん} → [湯呑茶碗]{ゆのみぢゃわん} とかかな? – Chocolate Aug 16 at 3:09

Is ぢゃ/ぢゅ/ぢょ used in modern kana usage?

Off the top of my head:

ぢゃ -- 「[御飯]{ごはん}[茶碗]{ぢゃわん}」「[湯呑]{ゆのみ}[茶碗]{ぢゃわん}」「[芝居]{しばい}[茶屋]{ぢゃや}」「[三軒]{さんげん}[茶屋]{ぢゃや}」

ぢょ -- 「[一本]{いっぽん}[調子]{ぢょうし}」「[盆]{ぼん}[提灯]{ぢょうちん}」「[小田原]{おだわら}[提灯]{ぢょうちん}」

ぢゅ -- I can't think of any (except 大手まんぢゅう and ぼてぢゅう)

| improve this answer | |
  • Interesting! Do you know why 茶 exhibits rendaku? I know the rules of rendaku are confusing but I remember hearing that only 和語 and 音-訓 compounds exhibit rendaku. The fact that ちゃ, an on'yomi reading, exhibits rendaku, is a little confusing to me – LittleWhole Aug 16 at 5:08
  • ん?音読みも連濁しません?(Though probably less commonly?) [者]{しゃ}→患[者]{じゃ}、 [心]{しん}→用[心]{じん}、 [本]{ほん}→文庫[本]{ぼん}、 [会]{かい}社→株式[会]{がい}社、 [産]{さん}→早[産]{ざん}、 [国]{こく}→戦[国]{ごく}、 [所]{しょ}帯→男[所]{じょ}帯、 [試]{し}合→練習[試]{じ}合、 [拍]{ひょう}子→手[拍]{びょう}子、とか・・ – Chocolate Aug 16 at 16:46
  • Ohhhhhhhh, I see. The rules of 連濁 are so confusing... I've never been able to wrap my head around it haha – LittleWhole Aug 16 at 19:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.