A rule for using nanode/node:

[ので used for both adjective and verb. [adjective]+ので [verb]+ので

なので used for noun. [noun]+なので](https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/5656968#answer-15048955)

Is ばかり a noun/な-adjective in ばかりなので? Considering this answer "なので" is ungrammatical when used with anything other than a noun or な adjective

Is ばかり a Na-adj in 海外で一人暮らしを始めたばかりなので、寂しくてしかたがありません。?

Another sentence with the same items: 子どもを産んだばかりなので、うちで休んでいるところです。

weblio.jp/content/ばかり ばかり is categorized as an adverb.
    – nayfaan
    Aug 24 '20 at 10:26
  • @nayfaan Thank you for your help!I wonder if you know the meaning/reason of な being there in the sentence?
    – raruna
    Aug 24 '20 at 15:30
    Actually, ばかり is categorized not as an adverb, but as an adverbial particle (the abbreviation 副助 stands for 副助詞). I think the assertion that なので can only be used with a noun or a な adjective is simply an overgeneralization. The な in なので is the 連体形 of だ, so 子どもを産んだばかりなので seems just as grammatical as 子どもを産んだばかりだ. That said, it is not the case that all adverbial particles can be used with だ or なので in this way, so while I think your premise is incorrect, I wonder if maybe there is in fact something "nounlike" about ばかり in usages like this. I hope someone will answer your question & address that.
    – Nanigashi
    Aug 24 '20 at 16:37
  • @Nanigashi So な in なので is the 連体形 of だ. It's a new useful information for me! I appreciate it! I wonder if maybe there is in fact something "nounlike" about ばかり Does this mean you are looking for the 'noun-ish' feature of ばかり so that it fits well with なので? Although you said the assertion that なので can only be used with a noun or a な adjective is simply an overgeneralization. ?
    – raruna
    Aug 24 '20 at 18:06
    Right – だ and by extension なので can be used with ばかり and at least a few other 副助詞 (e.g., まで and だけ), but there are other 副助詞 that they can't be used with (e.g., さえ, なんて). So I wonder if that means there's something special about the subset of 副助詞 that だ can be used with – some nounlike quality or other characteristic that allows this pairing with だ, even though the words aren't in fact nouns. Again, it's not a question I'm qualified to answer, and someone more qualified might say that even the question itself doesn't make any sense. (I'm neither a linguist nor a native speaker.)
    – Nanigashi
    Aug 25 '20 at 20:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.