New learner of two weeks. Noticed in my software course after hours of using it that the い seems to never pronounced or maybe I don't hear it? Is this a rule that when reading only "mas" should be heard?

Why did you think that? It's impossible not to pronounce it.

Please pronounce it.

そこにいます。

in Romaji: sokoni imasu.

Perhaps it's hard to hear for foreigners when they are sequential, like "に(ni)" and "い(i)".

But, being Japanese, I think I'm pronouncing it. It never sounds like it's missing.

| improve this answer | |
  • i can hear the い being pronounced on other sentences that use い but just with います specifically i can never hear it being read out in rosetta stone. – verve Aug 14 at 0:43
  • I don't know because I didn't actually hear it, but I think you probably just didn't catch it. – shingo.nakanishi Aug 14 at 0:45
  • wanted to make sure it wasn't being slurred together like "vous avez" in french or something. – verve Aug 14 at 0:47
  • @verve edit my answer. – shingo.nakanishi Aug 14 at 0:53
    @verve Note that there are other sentences where it can be dropped like やっています → やってます, but usually that is reflected in how it is written like I just did. In the sentence shingo provided such elision is not possible though. Anyways, you should provide an audio clip (perhaps using some screen/audio capture software). – Darius Jahandarie Aug 14 at 1:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.