I came across a song (琥珀ト瑠璃ノ輪舞曲) where there's a line

"時の函に横たわっていた".

I know the meaning of the words individually ,

"時の" = of a certain time,
"函" = box,
"横たわる" = lying down /stretching out.

But putting them to together in the sentence makes no sense to me. The most literal way I can translate it is "Lying in a box of a certain time" But the meaning seems incomplete to me. Is there any other meaning behind it? Thank you!

For context, these are the song lines before it :

煤けた硝子玉 淡い月と碧い夜
それだけを映して時の函に横たわっていた

時の函 is most probably box of time and you can totally be lying on it. – 永劫回帰 Aug 11 at 22:36
  • I see, thank you! I guess I'm just having some trouble trying to visualise it. I'm not sure what "box of time" even means. – viktor nikiforov Aug 11 at 23:07

The literal translation is:

時の函に横たわっていた
[I] was lying in the box of time

Judging from the broader context, this is the author's own poetic way of saying "(I) have spent a long time lying in this box". This 函 primarily refers to the "frame of time", but I guess it's also a reference to a physical storage box. Note that the character ("I") in this song is a half-forgotten and half-broken windup doll who has been waiting for a new owner for a long time. 煤けた硝子玉 refers to his own glass eyes.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.