Here is a sentence that I have trouble translating

満たされないと泣いているのはきっと満たされたいと願うから。

because I have difficulty understanding the role of the と located in the first part of it

満たされない泣いているのは ...

The only reason I can think of for using the と is that it is there to indicate a condition. And if indeed と can be used for the conditional, it seems to me that for that, the sentence in the conditional must indicate something always true (obvious). However, at first glance this does not appear to be the case to me. So if I could have some clarification, that would be perfect!

Oh and sorry if my English isn't the most fantastic, it's not my everyday language.

• いい曲ですね。そらるさんの「歌ってみた」を聞いてみたらいかがですか? – Angelos Aug 10 '20 at 3:28

No, this is a quotative と.

why I'm crying that I feel empty

I think this question is along the line with:

I do think "quotative" is as problematic a name as "past participle", because what it actually does is letting a verbalized idea embedded as an adverb (that describes cause, aim, manner, background, concurrent action..., and of course, emotion) in a sentence.

• あっごめん気づかなくて閉めちゃった – Chocolate Aug 10 '20 at 2:51
  • @Chocolate 🥺ぴえん – broken laptop Aug 10 '20 at 2:53
  • Can we really use と as being quotative when the verb to cry has no connection with verbs such as write, read, look, say, speak, ... (the most common verbs used for this use of と) ? – user39946 Aug 10 '20 at 5:27
  • Thank you for taking the time to answer me and to leave additional links, it's nice. – user39946 Aug 10 '20 at 5:49
    @user39946 Yes, this is very commonplace as you can see in the links. "Quotative" is but a label given to a certain usage of it. "Past participle" isn't for the past tense, is it? – broken laptop Aug 10 '20 at 7:09

と can be translated as "once, when" and is used in sentences like: 暖かくなると、桜の花が咲きます。(When it gets warm, cherry blossoms come into bloom.)

BUT! Wrong sentence: 春になると、山に遊びに行きましょう。(When spring comes, let's go play in the mountains.) It's wrong, because speaker's volition or request does not follow と.

BUT! Exception - speaker's volitional actions can be used for HABITUAL actions. Example: 私はおなかがすくと、いつもラーメンを作って食べます。(When I am hungry, I always make and eat ramen.)

So, in your case: 満たされないと- when/if speaker is not satisfied - 泣いている - he is [usually/always/used to/...habitual] crying.

And second part: ...のは - and this is what speaker is doing (crying) - きっと満たされたいと願うから。- because he certainly/100% wants to be satisfied.

The 'と' in the asker's question sounds like the quotative 'と' to me, not the conditional 'と'. – sbkgs4686 Aug 10 '20 at 2:45
  • Isn't it strange to use the conditional in this particular sentence? Unless even if this particle is assimilated to an if / when the general meaning has the possibility of being formulated quite differently. Oh and thank you for your answer, you allowed me to understand a little more the conditional with と by the way. – user39946 Aug 10 '20 at 6:03

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.