The use of loan words such as プレゼント are used much more just like カメラ is and such. So should i just disregard [贈]{おく}り物 and focus my memory on something else or do you know if [贈]{おく}り物 is still used and is important till this day?

• Welcome to JSE! Just FYI, we have formatting for furigana support. Check it out here. I've gone ahead and edited your question to include it. – istrasci Aug 6 at 17:16

I did a quick search for both headwords in two well-known corpora. The results are below:

BCCWJ: (Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese)

• 贈り物 668 entries

• プレゼント 3268 entries

Tsukuba Web Corpus

• 贈り物 5672 entries
  • プレゼント 21974 entries

It seems that プレゼント is indeed more common than 贈り物. Having said that, 贈り物 shouldn't be considered a rare word and it appears to be in regular use, albeit less so than プレゼント. I would say that 贈り物 is probably a slightly more formal word perhaps, and so might be preferred in writing or formal styles. I wouldn't advise disregarding it as you may encounter it in some situations.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.