hi i found ごと through immersion and when i looked it up it says it is a normalizing suffix can anyone clear this out for me i am still confused of how to use this word.

example sentence if it helps

えらい他人事だな

Are you sure this isn't こと as a nominalizer? If not, can you provide more context? Where did you see this and can you provide examples? – kandyman Aug 3 at 18:53
  • 他人事 is a set phrase meaning "someone else's business", so it's not a good example to use for your purpose. – Jimmy Sep 4 at 21:08

事【こと】 is used to nominalize (not normalize) verbs, in other words turn a verb like "to eat" 食べる into "eating" 食べること as in 食べることが好き "I like eating".

事 can basically be translated as "thing / matter" and in the case of 他人事 it means "the things concerning other people" / "other peoples affairs". Note that it can also occur in words such as "human resources" 人事【じんじ】.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.