So I've seen this usage of 為 pop up twice now and I still can't figure out what its exact meaning is supposed to be, here's the two cases in question:

1. I found this one in a videogame, where the information filtration system of a facility is explained: 「多様性学習の為のエラー許容率は7.21%」 The accepted diversity-learning error rate is 7.21%. Disregarding whatever this sentence is supposed to mean, could I replace「の為の」with just「の」or even「による」and retain the same meaning? What would the difference be?

2. This one's from a scene in the Jojo manga where the protagonist is fighting somebody underwater - he's charging his attack to launch it at the enemy and as is customary for Japanese media, announces and shouts his attack while doing so, exclamating: 「水中のための青緑波紋疾走(たーコイズブルーオーバードライブ)」 Underwater turquoise ripple dash (or somesuch, where does the 'blue' part come from anyway?) Now I'm really unsure what the「のための」here is supposed to insinuate exactly. Could I just leave that part out and still end up with the same meaning?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: For reference, I'll add the full transcript I found the first sentence in question in:

『塔』システム概略 "本『塔』は射出装置を中心に資源回収ユニットから送られた各資源を処理・情報化する為の施設である 256階層から成る構造体は情報濁度2300以 下の情報物質を濾過処理・圧縮から射出体への記 録まで27分32秒で行う(※) アンドロイド達を分解消化する為のルートについては詳細を別途記載する ※多様性学習の為のエラー許容率は7.21%"

~のための just means "for (the sake of) ~" or "(in order) to ~".

1. This phrase sounds puzzling to me because エラー許容率 does not seem to be something that will benefit 多様性学習. But if this エラー許容率 is something that has to be high enough to achieve 多様性学習, it would make sense (i.e., "the 'accepted error rate' value for achieving diversity-learning"). Without understanding the detailed study design, I cannot say if it's correct to use のための here or if it's safe to replace this のための to の.

2. 水中のための波紋疾走 just means "波紋疾走 for 水中", or a customized version of 波紋疾走 that can be used in water. Admittedly this のための sounds verbose and descriptive, but according to this, 青緑波紋疾走 is the real name of this attack, and 水中のための波紋疾走 is supposed to be a verbose description. Usually, you can use 用 instead of のための after a kango word (e.g, 水中用カメラ "underwater camera", 実験用器具 "laboratory-use equipment", 家庭用ゲーム機 "home video game console").

EDIT: I read the whole context about the 塔. So this 塔 is something like an information processor, and its input (androids) must be "clean" enough (情報濁度2300以下). So the sentence should be "The maximum error rate to perform the diversity learning is 7.21%" (i.e., if the input androids have more error/noise than this, the tower cannot perform the diversity learning).

• I added the full transcript for the first question, maybe it'll help in understanding better. Though your idea seems to make sense in this context, as in a certain error rate is necessary to facilitate some sort of learning process. Initially I thought it was supposed to say "the accepted error rate caused by diversity-learning is 7.21%" but I'm not sure how much sense this would make. As for the second one, in the manga it actually says 水中のための青緑波紋疾走 but I guess it's all the same nevertheless. Just thought it a little odd to have のための here as it seemed a little... redundant? – Boolicious Aug 5 '20 at 20:22
  • @Boolicious Please see the edit. As for 波紋疾走, yes it might look a bit redundant, but here three elements coexist to refer to the same thing (kanji name 青緑, the katakana reading ターコイズ and the verbose description 水中のための), so it might have been hard to avoid confusion. – naruto Aug 6 '20 at 2:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.