In my text book I have the sentence 「どうして神様や仏様を同時に祭ることができるのか不思議に思うかもしれない」 Does this translate to “how can they worship both Buddha and other gods at the same time, they will think strangely”. When I typed in 不思議 to my online dictionary it gave me a bunch of answers which to me some were completely different from the rest. When I google translated it i was told it means “to wonder”. Can someone shed a little light on this for me . Thanks!

While 不思議 itself has a few different usages, the set phrase 不思議に思う generally means 'to wonder' or 'to wonder why' (when どうして is included). You could say that the literal meaning is 'to think of as being strange', but that can sound a little strong.

So the elements of your translation are intact but instead of 'think strangely', I would use 'wonder why'. More context about who is doing the wondering would be helpful, but I would translate as follows:

どうして神様や仏様を同時に祭ることができるのか不思議に思うかもしれない。
(Somebody) might wonder how they are able to worship both God and Buddha at the same time.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.