Is the 出し -which I believe to be 出す- in the following text a relative clause, as the 行動 is a noun?

「ここにじっとしていてもしょうがない………か」

自分を奮い立たせるために、わざと自分の考えを声に出し行動を始めた。

No. 出し is a 連用形, which means it never modifies a noun as a relative clause. 連用形 literally roughly means "continue-verb-form". That 出し modifies nothing. Just because a verb comes before a noun doesn't mean it's a relative clause.

Compare the following two sentences.

1. グラウンドを走り先生を呼んだ。
    I ran across the ground and called my teacher.

2. グラウンドを走る先生を呼んだ。
    I called my teacher who was running across the ground.

走り is a 連用形, so it does not form a relative clause. This 走り is interchangeable with 走って. On the other hand, 走る is a 連体形 (≒dictionary form), so it forms a relative clause that modifies 先生. Please review the basic grammar of relative clauses.

Perhaps you need some exercise. Only two of the following six sentences contain a relative clause. Can you tell which?

1. 彼はイチゴを食べ鳥を捕まえた。
  2. 彼はイチゴを食べて鳥を捕まえた。
  3. 彼はイチゴを食べる鳥を捕まえた。
  4. 彼女は山に登るシカを見た。
  5. 彼女は山に登りシカを見た。
  6. 彼女は山に登ってシカを見た。
    The Third and Fourth sentences form a relative clause, I think, as the verb is before the noun and in its dictionary form... – Toyu_Frey Aug 6 '20 at 0:00
  • @Toyu_Frey That's correct. And that's also why 出し in your original question has nothing to do with relative clauses. – naruto Aug 6 '20 at 2:40
  • If it isn't a relative clause then what is it? – Toyu_Frey Aug 17 '20 at 11:17
  • @Toyu_Frey Two independent clauses that are not directly related to each other, thus forming a compound sentence. A relative clause is a type of dependent (subordinate) clause. – naruto Aug 17 '20 at 13:04
  • So then I would translate 声に出し行動を始めた as 声に出し [connecting article, such as "and", "but" etc] 行動を始めた? – Toyu_Frey Aug 24 '20 at 18:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.