I tried to find kanji for the name Aimi by looking at the readings of kanji on jisho.org.

Do the kanji 鴉靉魅 work for the name Aimi?

• How did you come up with these kanji? – Earthliŋ Jul 30 at 22:35
  • Searching for their readings on jisho.org :) – aimi Jul 30 at 22:51
    It works except that almost no native speaker can even guess the reading... – naruto Jul 30 at 23:06

Well, it sort of works, depending how you interpret "works".

The ENAMDICT database contains many rare names (and over 100 ways of writing the name あいみ in kanji — but not 鴉靉魅).

The database does contain entries

• あいか 【鴉嘩】

• そうあ 【蒼鴉】

• えいこ 【靉子】

as well as several names using 魅 for the (common) ending, such as

• あさみ 【亜佐魅】

as "female given name" suggesting that all characters might be used in a name.

Reading 鴉 and 靉 as a and i is "theoretically" possible, but almost impossible to guess. Note also that these two are hyōgai kanji, so they could not be used in a given name for a baby girl (or boy) born in Japan now.

Also, the choice of kanji does looks a bit like someone wanted a name with as many kanji and as many strokes as possible.

If you wanted a more "realistic" name you could keep 魅 as mi and put either

1. two kanji for ai, such as 安意 for 安意魅, say, or
  2. a single kanji for ai, such as 愛 or 和 or 想 or 藍 for 愛魅 etc.

I think this way you can get a pretty name, which isn't too eccentric.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your answer :D – aimi Jul 30 at 22:52
    愛魅 looks really lovely. – A.Ellett Jul 31 at 0:20
    「魅」って・・あんまり良い感じしないですよね、モノノケみたいな意味もあるし。。フツーに愛美、愛海、愛実、藍美とか亜衣美あたりにしとかはったら…って思ってしまう。。。 – Chocolate Jul 31 at 13:28
  • 愛美 can also work I think... oh @Chocolate already mentioned it :)) – rebuuilt Aug 2 at 7:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.