In an interview, a band member replied to a question about why they decided to release 2 songs at the same time. So she said that it was their manager who told them that the band was contacted to write 2 songs for two different TV shows. So, the band was happy and then she said :

「でも、そのドラマはいつから始まる?」っていうことで(ABCテレビ制作「パーフェクトクライム」。

There is an english translation of the interview, and there is one part that is confusing me.

I was like, “Wow! So happy! ... But, wait, when does this drama start airing...? " ("Perfect Crime" produced by ABC TV begins airing from January)

っていうことで was translated as "I was like". I know there is a grammar point "ということです" that means "I’ve heard that…; rumor has it that…; it appears as if; it means that" but it doesn't look like it's this usage. I found this question Meaning of ということで? and again, I'm not sure if it's the same usage or not.

Any help is much appreciated.

「Xということ」literally means "thing that says X", but that's really a metaphor for how we say "thing that can be described as X" in English.

From this we can get various extended meanings, including:

• A thing (こと) that can be described as X exists -> (This is known because) I've heard someone else describe an X こと -> Rumour has it that X.
  • A thing (こと) that can be described as X exists -> My reaction that can be described as X exists -> I was like X.

So both meanings are extensions from the same basic meaning. I guess you could call them different usages though, because each meaning requires you to view「Xということ」from a different perspective.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.