enter image description here

I saw this tweet earlier today. I find it difficult to understand the underlined portion. This is the first time I saw 目指すよう without に or な following it. The same goes with 近く. It looks like an adverb, but I'm sure it's not modifying 要請する. Is it 近くの with の omitted? This is not a newspaper headline, but what's with the omission of に and の?

• Thanks for cropping the image naruto. (Apparently, the image is much larger than my cellphone screen) Did you have to download and reupload it just to crop it? – rebuuilt Jul 27 at 0:17
    Yes, I just made another (partial) screenshot from your image and uploaded it. – naruto Jul 27 at 0:18
  • @Leebo thanks. So whether there's 「、」 or not, it's similar to ように only slightly more formal, right? – rebuuilt Jul 27 at 0:22

You can replace ように with よう in some situations:

• When it describe a purpose ("so that ~")

字幕なしで映画が見えるように勉強します。
    字幕なしで映画が見えるよう勉強します。
    I will study so that I can watch movies without subtitles.

• When it expresses a wish ("I wish ~", "May ~")

神のご加護がありますように。
    神のご加護がありますよう。
    May the God bless you.

• When it describes the content of 頼む, 命令する, 要求する, 言う, etc.

来るように言って。
    来るよう言って。
    Tell him to come.

There is almost no difference, but I feel よう is slightly more literary. (I'm not sure if "formal" is the correct word here. ように is safe in the most formal settings.)

You cannot drop に when it means "similarly to ~", "as ~" or "like ~".

• 鳥のように飛んだ。 It flew like a bird.
  • 彼のように美しい人はいない。 No one is as beautiful as him.
  • ご存じのようにこちらは冬です。 As you know, it's winter here.

This 近く is an adverb on its own (my dictionary says so). 近くの経済界 would mean "nearby world of economics", which makes little sense. 多く also has a special adverbial usage ("often", "mainly").

| improve this answer | |
    Thanks! I just checked what 近く means and I didn't know that it can mean "soon", similar to but not replaceable by すぐに – rebuuilt Jul 27 at 2:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.