Here are a couple of sentences:

1. 雨が降るそうです
  2. 雨が降りそうです

Does 1 mean I hear it will rain, while 2 means It seems it will rain??

And then, what about tenses?:

1. 雨が降ったそうです
  2. ?

1 meaning I heard it will rain? There is no past masu stem so how would you create 2? Would 2 then just mean It looked like it would rain?

To add to my confusion, there is みたい. What is the difference between verb masu stem + そう and plain verb + みたい?

when following what could be called 'sentence form', そうだ means I heard/people say that.

雨が降るそうだ - I heard it will rain

when following a verb's masu-stem or an adjective's stem (remove い or な as appropriate), そうだ means it looks like/seems

雨が降りそうだ - It looks like it will rain

Next you have みたい

みたい(だ) is a more casual version of よう(だ) and both work basically the same way:

It expresses

a) a likelihood of something (looks like/appears to be the case) e.g. 木村さんは昨日お酒はを飲んだようだ・木村さんは昨日お酒を飲んだみたいだ It seems that Mr Kimura dran sake yesterday

b) I likeness/similarity between one thing and another e.g. この酒は水のようだ・この酒は水みたいだ this sake i like water

The difference between みたい・よう and そう (meaning looks like) is that:

そう is based on what the speaker sees or feels and there i less certainty than with よう which is also based on what the speaker sees/saw, but involves further reasoning on the part of the speaker to interpret the situation. There may be more reliable information involved here.

Basically, そう is a simple 'it looks like', where as よう is 'it seems to me, that...'

You may also find the expressions だろう/でしょう or らしい which can express similar ideas to the above.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.