Occasionally, I hear the pitch accent of phrases that should be heard as 平板型 end up not being this way. Some examples are 卒業してそれはこれは、気がする、私は、私が. All of these words and phrases should be "flat". However, I have heard a couple instances where the pitch drops, such as in それは{LHL}、これは{LHL}、そつぎょうして{LHHHHHL}、きがする{LHHL}、わたしは{LHHL}、わたしが{LHHL}. Does anybody know what exactly is going on with these examples?

• In your linked examples I hear the pitch go up at the end, not down, which is fine with 平板 if you’re trying to lead into a subsequent part of the sentence. Were the links meant to be an example of the pitch dropping? – Darius Jahandarie Jul 24 '20 at 5:26
  • Yes the links were meant to be an example of the pitch dropping. I thought the pitches were going down because they didn't seem to be as pronounced as the initial high pitch. – Kai1212 Jul 24 '20 at 6:33
  • Oh, you know, I think there is a tiny bit of a drop midway into the last mora in your examples even though they start high. But my brain doesn’t hear this as lexical pitch, it hears it as sentence intonation. I don’t have a great answer here, hopefully someone else does! – Darius Jahandarie Jul 24 '20 at 7:18
  • Dialects. You don't have to get confused unless you stick to the standard accent. We understand all of them despite such different accents. – kaboc Jul 24 '20 at 9:51
  • @Kai1212 I don't think you've accurately applied the pitch accent formatting. As far as I can hear, the drop in tone occurs on the final mora in the case of それ, これ, そつぎょうし, etc. You have marked the downstep as the penultimate mora and I think this is incorrect. – kandyman Jul 24 '20 at 10:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.