A quick search on jisho.org reveals that many of the first page results of words that end with a ず are adverbs. So this type of adverb is common.

In fact, it's true (at least for these first page results) that a word is an adverb if and only if the final ず is written in kana instead of being part of the reading of a kanji.

This doesn't seem like a coincidence.

I know that ず was historically a negative conjugation (per this question), but I can't really why that would make it a common adverb ending.

Does anyone know why this might be the case?

• Including the adverb tag in the jisho search might make it easier to navigate. And there are some adverbs where the final mora is ず but it can be written in kanji (しずしず, 静々, 静静) – Leebo Jul 23 at 3:17
  • Oooh handy. I'll leave the linked search as is because I think it's noteworthy that there are so many first-page adverb results (7), compared to 1 for *つ and 0 for *か (just a couple random examples). – jpear1 Jul 23 at 3:24

I don't think so many adverbs with ず in Japanese adverbs but I find some examples of Japanese adverbs with "ず" at the end of a word are;

Group A: ず means negative conjugation あいかわらず (as not changed) あしからず (do not treat it as bad thing) おもいがけず (as not supposed) おもわず (as not supposed)

Group B: ず is a part of Mimetic word うずうず (itchy) ぐずぐず (tardily)

Adverbs are changed shape of verb. Above Group A is changed with negative form of verbs.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.