EDIT: Oh my gosh nevermind I had misidentified the base word, need to work on those listening/reading skills. It's 出す not 出る. 出す is a godan verb and everything works if it's a godan verb.

ORIGINAL POST Okay, so I'd like to preface this with two things. My Japanese grammar is still super basic (I'm trying to power through things that are above my skill level) and my primary grammatical source is Cure Dolly's Organic Japanese system. The first point means I could easily be making a basic mistake and the second is to explain why I might be using some non-standard explanations.

So I'm playing a game I've played many times before, but this time I'm trying to do it without using a translation tool. A character at one point tells his friend to "元気出せって". I can tell this basically means "cheer up" (or more literally, "pull out energy/cheer/etc"). The part that has me confused is 出せって.

My understanding is that it's 出る (incorrectly) conjugated to 出せる then taken to the te form of 出せって. But 出る is an ichidan verb. Shouldn't it be 出る conjugated to 出させる taken to the te form of 出させって?

The speaking character has a personality that indicates he may speak kind of loosely/casually. He may also have a dialect I'm not aware of/skilled enough to pick up on yet, so if either of those could explain it just let me know! Especially since I'm aware Japanese sometimes drops bits in casual speech and he's talking to a close friend.

• It's not 出る it's 出す – Leebo Jul 22 at 6:06
  • I realized that seconds after posting, I am so sorry and thank you so much. <3 – Jane Jul 22 at 6:08
  • It is the imperative form of 出す followed by the quotation particle って (と). A very similar question: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/17469/26484 – user26484 Jul 23 at 11:04