I really don't get why I usually see that people use は instead of を in this case. The reason why I do not understand it is this sentence:

~を選んだ方がいい

I have seen people using this sentence without は. Then, my question is: Why , in this specific case, with the verb 選ぶ people use を but with 止める people use は?

What verb were you thinking of with 止める, since you feel that the specific verb is important? 止める could be とめる or やめる. – Leebo Jul 15 at 22:25

は replaces を (or が, or follows after other particles) when the information after the は is more important (or "new to the listener") than the information before it. That is clearly the case with 〜止めた方がいい - the speaker and the listener are both familiar with whatever is being referred to before that point; it's the "you'd better quit that!" part that is the main purpose of the sentence, so は is used to emphasize that latter part of the sentence.

Meanwhile, 〜を選んだ方がいい is more neutral in terms of "which side of the sentence is important", and using は would imply that the thing being chosen is already understood as the topic of conversation - it's the fact of choosing it that is new - and that's just not a common scenario.

I frequently like to consider, when choosing whether or not "to は", what kind of question the sentence could be in answer to, as that dictates whether or not は is appropriate. If it could answer a question where a question word occurs in the part of the sentence before the particle, then you don't use は, otherwise you probably should.

これは何ですか? → これはペンです

だれがいますか? → 山田さんがいます

これは、どうしよう? → それは[止]{や}めた方がいいよ

どの道を選んだ方がいい? → 右の道を選んだ方がいい

| improve this answer | |
    しようよ? is never a question. – user4092 Jul 16 at 6:40
  • @user4092 AIUI the よ is used to mean something like "...is what I wanna know, yeah?" in such cases. Same with 「どこへ行こうよ」 – Micah Cowan Jul 16 at 18:29
  • alternatively, adding a flavor of exasperation – Micah Cowan Jul 16 at 19:01
    Let me edit your examples to sound more natural. 「よ」をつけて exasperation を表すなら、「どうするんだよ!?」「どうすんだよ!?」「どうすんのよ!?」「どこ行くんだよ!?」「どこ行くのよ!?」とかね・・ – Chocolate Jul 17 at 0:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.