There have been a few times where I have come across にする and をする and I am asking about different situations of when it is used and its meaning.

The first example is Adjective (specifically な) + にする:

私は出来るだけ静かにしていた。 I kept as quiet as possible.

1. Does 静かにして more literally mean "made quiet", how does it differ from になる?
  2. Does this syntax of にする work the same for i-adjectives (面白いにする)?

I've also been noticing more and more the grammar of Noun + を/に する

1. What is the difference between using and ?
  2. Is this grammar point used only because the noun isn't a suru-verb, for example does 勉強に/をする not work?

My question has kind of just been dumped onto you but I feel like in order for me to understand this grammar I need understand these things that have confused me the most.

私は出来るだけ静かにしていた。 I kept as quiet as possible.

The する, used with the continuative form (連用形) of an i-adjective or na-adjective, or an adverbial phrase such as こう、そう etc., is an intransitive verb meaning そのような行動や態度をとる ("to behave/act in a particular way").

明鏡国語辞典 states:

する 🈩〘自動詞〙
❻《様態を表す形容詞・形容動詞の連用形、「こう」「そう」など、副詞句に直接付いて》 そのような行動や態度をとる。「静かにしろ」「人に優しくする」「彼女とは常日ごろ親しくしている」「言われたとおりにする」「こうすればいいでしょう」

1. Does 静かにして more literally mean "made quiet", how does it differ from になる?

No, 静かにする literally means "to behave/act quiet" → "to keep quiet".
「神妙にする」 "to be docile"
「勝手にする」「好きにする」 "to act as one pleases"
静かになる means "to become quiet (after not being quiet)". It involves a change of state or transition from being not quiet to being quiet.

1. Does this syntax of にする work the same for i-adjectives (面白いにする)?

You can use this する with i-adjectives, but not 面白いに. The continuative form of i-adjectives ends with ~く. eg:
優しい → 優しく 「人に優しくする」 "to be kind to others"
おとなしい → おとなしく 「おとなしくする」 "to stay quiet"
よい → よく 「友達と仲よくする」 "to get along with friends"

1. What is the difference between using を and に?

(I don't really know what you're asking but) ~をする can mean many different things. Used with an を, the する is transitive. eg:
勉強をする to do studying → study
教師をする to work as/play the role of a teacher
ネクタイをする to wear a tie
etc...

And ~を‥にする means "make/turn ~ (into)‥" or "choose ~ as ‥". eg:
牛乳をチーズにする "make milk into cheese"
部屋をきれいにする "make a room clean"
山田さんを議長にする "make Yamada-san a chairperson / elect Yamada-san chairperson"
ワインをお土産にする "choose wine as a gift"
etc...

1. Is this grammar point used only because the noun isn't a suru-verb, for example does 勉強に/をする not work?

Well, it's because the する has a different meaning.
You can say "Noun+に+する" using this する, though it doesn't seem productive, since this is the only example that I can think of:
いい子にする lit. "to behave/act a good child" → "to be a good boy/girl".

勉強にする doesn't make sense.

| improve this answer | |

Adjectives are words that modify nouns, whereas adverbs are words that modify adjectives and verbs.

By adding に to a na-adjective, you turn it into an adverb. In this way, 静かにする can be seen as the adverb "quietly" directly modifying the verb する "to do":

静かにする。Literally "to do quietly", i.e. "to be quiet".

I think that this sense of "to be quiet" fits nicely in your example sentence. Also note that 静かにする is a very common sentence so it can be thought of as a set phrase.

However, note that you could use 静かに as an adverb to modify other verbs, too:

静かに寝ている。Sleeping peacefully/quietly

On the other hand, to turn an i-adjective into an adverb, you cannot attach に. Instead, drop the い and replace it by a く. For example:

速い fast (adjective) → 速く fast (adverb), rapidly

あの車は速く走ります。That car runs fast.

| improve this answer | |
  • Any hint from the downvoter as for why this answer is not right? I'll try to improve it. Thank you! – jarmanso7 Jul 15 at 6:24
  • @Chocolate ↑↑ ? – jarmanso7 Jul 15 at 9:12
  • およ? 私、ダウンボードしてないよ。 – Chocolate Jul 15 at 9:16
  • あらっ、もしかしたらChocolateさんが私のAnswerを見て何か正しくないことを見つけたので自分のAnswerを投稿しようと思った。すみません – jarmanso7 Jul 15 at 9:38
  • Apologies – the downvoter was seemingly me; I had meant to upvote your answer but must have had fat fingers...! So... I made a small edit to your post and have upvoted you now! – henreetee Jul 15 at 17:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.