What is the difference between Verb + ことが○○です and verb + 〇〇です? And when are you supposed to use one over the other?

For example I wrote

映画を観ることが時間です。
It's time to watch a movie.

But I was corrected to

映画を観る時間です。

But I don't really understand why. I thought こと is used to signify some kind of event. In this 時間です (It's time) and the event is 映画を観る (watch/watching a movie)

I usually don't like to draw analogies between Japanese and other languages, but here it's almost a 100% fit with English.

映画を観る

To watch a movie (dictionary form)

時間です。

It is time.

Combine both together and you get:

映画を観る時間です。

It is time to watch a movie.

| improve this answer | |
    Alternatively, "It is movie-watching time." Conversely, 映画を観ること is "the act of watching a movie", or simply "watching a movie", and using が after it pretty much dictates that's where the "is" should go. If これはペンです is "This is a pen", then 映画を見ることが時間です means "Watching a movie is time". Which doesn't make a lot of sense. – Micah Cowan Jul 14 at 10:00
    (The use of が instead of は makes it even slightly more odd, as it kind of implies that someone was wondering what time is, and you answered with "Watching a movie, that's time.) – Micah Cowan Jul 14 at 10:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.