I know that しょくじします means "to have a meal". I have trouble understanding the bolded sentence in the following text:

たたみのへやでしごとをします。しょくじもします。

Does it mean that the person also has meals in a tatami room? Is it normal to "insert" the も particle like that between the noun and する?

"I read books. I also read magazines." ほんよみます。ざっしんよみます。You use the verb よむ twice, and in the second instance を is replaced by も. I don't think it's different for する. – jarmanso7 Jul 13 at 6:20

As @jarmanso7 points out, you can always replace an を (or a が) with a も.

I think part of the confusion might be that the も-less example the OP offers/is familiar with doesn't have an を. しょくじをします and しょくじします are both possible, and are closely related, though there are many who would consider the latter to be a sort of verb in its own right, whereas the former is "doing" a meal. Perhaps like "Partaking of a meal", vs "dining". If this perspective is comfortable for you, then I'd suggest that the も is replacing the を of the former, making it akin to "Partaking also in meals" (or "also takes meals there").

The suggestion that も is "inserted" between noun and verb is a little problematic, because normally you don't have a noun and a verb in the same sentence without some sort of particle after the noun. In casual situations of course, particles are often dropped, but technically this wouldn't be quite grammatical I believe. する-verb nouns are the notable exceptions (so is a noun with the copula です, but you could argue that です isn't 100% a verb in function, even if it is one grammatically), because there the noun+する combination may be considered a complete verb (but is kind of a gray area of sorts).

And of course, in those casual instances I mentioned where a particle might be dropped (さかなたべる?) if you wanted to use a も, you would just slip it in "between the noun and the verb" (or to be more accurate: after the noun, regardless of what else might be between the noun and the verb).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.