Taken from 「イエスタデイをうたって2」

Context: One guy wants to visit a female friend (who he barely knows) while she is sick. This is their conversation when he suddenly stops before entering her house:

「一人暮らしの女の部屋にそう ほいほいと上がれるか?」

「シナコ先生の部屋には入ったくせに?」

「あいつんとこはいーの...」

As intended in the title of this question, what puzzles me about this conversation is the 「上がれる」. I get what their conversation is about, however I am unsure about what this part of the sentence means in a literal way. Is he asking her if she really wants to let other people enter her room/house so easily? Is the 「上がれる」simply passive?

I feel like overseeing something about the sentence and twisting the meaning to fit what I had in my head already.

(Further context: The girl actually has a love interest in the guy (what he knows about); however he is in love with シナコ先生, who is an acquaintance of both. The girl speaking in this conversation knows that he visited シナコ a few days ago and cared for her while she was sick.)

上がれる here is the potential form / 可能形 of 上がる.

そうほいほいと上がれるか?
Could I ever enter so easily/casually? Would I ever be allowed to / Would it ever be possible to enter so easily/casually?

The passive form / 受身形 of [上]{あ}がる is [上]{あ}がれる.

He's saying he doubts a man would be allowed to enter the room of a woman living alone so easily/casually, from a moralistic viewpoint, and hesitating to do so.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.