Reference: This article ("セブ市は引き続きECQか。首都圏が再びMECQになる可能性も") is written by 岡田薫さん from マニラ新聞:

ドゥケ保健相は8日朝、セブ市について、現在の防疫区分が切れる16日以降も防疫強化地域(ECQ)に留めるとの意向を明らかにした。一方、アニョ内務自治相は8日、首都圏が修正防疫強化措置(MECQ)に逆戻りする可能性にも触れた。

What part of the sentence does 現在の防疫区分が切れる modify? Is it 16日 or is it 16日以降?

8日付セブ・デイリーニュース(電子版)によると、ドゥケ保健相はドゥテルテ大統領も出席した新型感染症省庁間タスクフォース(IATF)の会議で、セブ市の現状について発言。「コロナ患者の増加で、病院機能がひっ迫している」と指摘した上で「住民の公衆上のリスクも高いことから、引き続き防疫強化地域(ECQ)に留める」と述べた。

保健省の中部ビサヤ地域本部は、同地域の新型コロナウイルス新規感染者数は8日午後5時現在で310人(7日は350人)と、連日300人超えだったことを発表。うち、セブ市の新規感染者は63人(7日は146人)で、新たに死亡したのは7人(同3人)。セブ州では2人が死亡している。

同地域の感染者数(累計)は1万1155人となり、セブ市が7078人と全体の6割以上を占める。マンダウエ市は1147人、ラプラプ市は1064人、3市を除いたセブ州は1763人。同地域の死者は419人で、回復者は3781人だった。

ドゥテルテ大統領から6月後半にビサヤ地域のコロナ対策責任者に任命されたシマツ環境相は7日、「私は事態を楽観的に見ている。16日からセブ市は一般防疫地域(GCQ)になると自信を持っている」と発言していた。

I find the sentences containing the first instance of 発言 unusual because there's no copula or verb at the end of the sentence (in contrast to the second 発言). Is this common even in online news articles where there is not much incentive to save space?

The second instance is actually 発表, isn't it? – jarmanso7 Jul 10 '20 at 11:37
  • Thanks! I overlooked it. Let me edit the question – rebuuilt Jul 10 '20 at 12:10

What part of the sentence does 現在の防疫区分が切れる modify? Is it 16日 or is it 16日以降?

切れる ("to expire" in this context) refers to an instant state change, so it modifies only 16日.

Is this common even in online news articles where there is not much incentive to save space?

Omission of した is "news(paper) style" and it can sometimes happen even in body text.

• Short and sweet. Thanks @naruto – rebuuilt Jul 10 '20 at 23:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.