Someone asked her friend (in a TV show) 「宿題の答え合わせも兼ねて 勉強会をやりませんか?」 in the sense of "Want to do a study session, and compare our homework answers while we're at it?". Would the meaning change if も兼ねて were replaced by を兼ねて?

BTW, I didn't find a lot of references to this particular meaning of 兼ねて in English-language Japanese study materials online. Is this a common way of using 兼ねて?

I think that も might be a little more natural than を here, because it reflects the idea that it is something "extra" (like an extra activity, an extra benefit, etc.) that is "added" to the main idea of meeting up for a study session.

In your translation, you could incorporate this nuance more directly by adding "also":

Want to do a study session, and also compare our homework answers while we're at it?

Since 兼ねて already has the meaning of doing something alongside something else, I guess を兼ねて would mean more or less the same. However, if the sentence were

宿題の答え合わせも目的に、勉強会をやりませんか?

replacing も by を would give the sentence a new meaning: namely, that comparing would be the main (or the only) activity for something you're calling 勉強会.

• 宿題の答え合わせ[を/も]して勉強会をやる is a wrong use of the te-form... A better example should be 宿題の答え合わせ[を/も]目的に勉強会をやる or something.
    – naruto
    Jul 8 '20 at 17:14
  • @naruto Thank you, corrected. (I was hoping to find an example with a verb, but I couldn't come up with a reasonable example...)
    – Earthliŋ
    Jul 8 '20 at 17:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.