Someone asked her friend (in a TV show) 「宿題の答え合わせも兼ねて 勉強会をやりませんか?」 in the sense of "Want to do a study session, and compare our homework answers while we're at it?". Would the meaning change if も兼ねて were replaced by を兼ねて?

BTW, I didn't find a lot of references to this particular meaning of 兼ねて in English-language Japanese study materials online. Is this a common way of using 兼ねて?

1 Answer 1

I think that も might be a little more natural than を here, because it reflects the idea that it is something "extra" (like an extra activity, an extra benefit, etc.) that is "added" to the main idea of meeting up for a study session.

In your translation, you could incorporate this nuance more directly by adding "also":

Want to do a study session, and also compare our homework answers while we're at it?

Since 兼ねて already has the meaning of doing something alongside something else, I guess を兼ねて would mean more or less the same. However, if the sentence were

宿題の答え合わせも目的に、勉強会をやりませんか?

replacing も by を would give the sentence a new meaning: namely, that comparing would be the main (or the only) activity for something you're calling 勉強会.

• 宿題の答え合わせ[を/も]して勉強会をやる is a wrong use of the te-form... A better example should be 宿題の答え合わせ[を/も]目的に勉強会をやる or something.
    – naruto
    Jul 8, 2020 at 17:14
  • @naruto Thank you, corrected. (I was hoping to find an example with a verb, but I couldn't come up with a reasonable example...)
    – Earthliŋ
    Jul 8, 2020 at 17:19

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .