So, I think that I'm not alone when it comes to being confused about when は and が are supposed to be used, but here I would like to ask about a specific example

浅野君は(私に)かわいい手袋を編んでくれた
 x
浅野君が(私に)かわいい手袋を編んでくれた

Is there a difference in both phrases? As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), は is used to talk about already mentioned topics, while が is used to talk about new topics.

• The second sentence isn't necessarily wrong, it just depends on what you're trying to convey. The first sentence is simply stating a fact, whereas the second sentence adds some nuance, perhaps that you're really happy that Asano knitted a pair of gloves for you. – JansthcirlU Jul 6 at 8:20

A proper noun like 浅野君 is usually considered always in the discourse (i.e., there is no "an 浅野君"), but there are times when you have to use が for such a noun.

This type of が used in the second sentence is called neutral-description ga. It is used to report something as a newly observed event.

What's the difference between wa (は) and ga (が)?

Sentences of neutral description present an objectively observable action, existence, or temporary state as a new event.

On the other hand, は is used to describe a generic fact and to describe an event as a known fact.

In your case, 浅野君手袋を編んでくれた is preferred when you're writing a diary or you're recalling this as a past event. 浅野君手袋を編んでくれた must be used when you tell this news to your friend immediately after you received the gloves.

Lastly, This は/が distinction is not directly related to the ~てくれる construction.

Related:

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.