I have a Japanese friend whom I chat to from time to time on a software called Line.

Let's say their name is Haruto.

Sometimes I like to start by saying something like ''Haruto san, are you there ?''.

How would you say that in Japanese ?

I found the following phrases online but I have no idea what kind of nuance they carry. I'm just looking for a casual friend-to-friend way of expressing it.

Haruto san, soko ni imasu ka ?

Haruto san, iru ?

You answered your question. – user4092 Jul 5 at 14:55
  • Are both those expression exactly the same in their usage and nuance in this context ? – Kantura Jul 5 at 15:11
    @Kantura "soko ni" won't be needed if you have no intention to contrast to another place, and vice versa. – broccoli facemask - cloth Jul 5 at 15:15
    @Kantura If you just want to know if they're at the keyboard. – broccoli facemask - cloth Jul 5 at 15:32
    Not everyone is gonna read the comments so maybe you could explicitly post an answer @user4092. – JansthcirlU Jul 6 at 13:48

As answered originally in the comments section of the question:

はるとさん、いますか。 Haruto san, imasu ka ?

はるとさん、いる? Haruto san, iru ?

Are two expressions that can be used. Please see the comments section for the discussion regarding their differences.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.