The Shinmeikai dictinary defines 椅子 as:

腰を掛け(てよりかか)るための家具

What does てよりかか mean there?

Inside the parentheses is not an independent chunk of words. It's meant to be parsed either including the parenthetical portion or not. – broccoli facemask - cloth Jul 5 at 15:58
    btw do you mean Shinmeikai? Because Shinnenkai means the new year's party. – broccoli facemask - cloth Jul 5 at 16:07
  • Lol, yeah. I'll change it. Thanks – SENATI SENATI Jul 5 at 19:36

腰を掛ける (here in て-form) means to sit and 寄りかかる means to lean on.

A chair is a tool where you sit and rest your back against the back of the chair.

| improve this answer | |
  • I see. So, I was parsing the full てよりかか when the て was there just to complete 腰を掛け- and then add よりかか (寄りかかる) to the definition. Thanks – SENATI SENATI Jul 5 at 19:36

Nothing much to add to @永劫回帰's answer itself, just a follow-up about the format:

腰を掛け(てよりかか)るための家具

It's almost like writing in English:

a piece of furniture for sitt(ing and reclin)ing on

Of course you usually don't want to write such a Frankenstein sentence in English, but Japanese has no spaces between words and can be broken anywhere, so why not? As a result, we don't hesitate to insert fragments in parentheses wherever both ends meet around them.

小さ(くて見づら)い字
ブザーが聞こえ(なかっ)た時
無(理のない)課金

| improve this answer | |
  • Is this at all common, though? If a native encountered this, would they consider it intelligible but highly unusual? – jogloran Jul 6 at 5:01
    @jogloran A dictionary proudly makes use of it, no? ;-) (Well, my last example is obviously a joke meme, though.) – broccoli facemask - cloth Jul 6 at 5:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.