woman 1 :就活している中で、私は将来、結婚したいなっていう気持ちもあるんですが。 そこのところはどうですか?出世で遠のいてしまうイメージがあるので。

woman 2 :一般的にどうかは置いといて、私の場合は遠のいているかもですね(笑) 実際してないですし。 これまでも打診を受けるたびに悩みました。初めてマネージャーになる時に、当時付き合っていた方がいて。結婚も考えた時に完全に私のほうが収入も上がるし、役職も上がるしって思ったんですけど(笑)

でも、その役職を引き受けるって決めて。 自分が稼ぐんだって決めて、実際になったら別れちゃったんです。

so , the first woman asks the second woman about her opinion of thinking about marriage and if it is going to affect her work in real life so i want know what does "実際してないですし" refer to here is it the fact the she is not married or is it that marriage does not affect your success in life

1 Answer 1

is it the fact the she is not married or is it that marriage does not affect your success in life

It's the former.

You could read the part like:

私の場合は(結婚が)[遠]{とお}のいているかもですね(笑) 実際(結婚を)してないですし。

In my case, (marriage) might have become distant (lol) In fact I am not (married).

• i do not understand why would she use "一般的に" in this context and what does "打診を受ける" mean here Jul 2, 2020 at 4:16
    @lightofgold, 一般的に(in general) is in contrast to 私の場合は(in my case). It's like, 「一般的に(世間の他の人たちは)どうかは別にして、私個人は~」 "Setting aside how other people are in general, for me personally ~~" or "I can't speak for others, but for me personally..." Does this make sense?
    – chocolate
    Jul 2, 2020 at 4:23
    @lightofgold 打診を受ける here is talking about 昇進/promotion. 打診(する) means "to feel/sound (someone's view) out about (something, eg promotion)".
    – chocolate
    Jul 2, 2020 at 4:33
  • so basically she is saying that every time they tapped on the subject - her promotion - she would feel troubled ? 。is it because ":結婚も考えた時に完全に私のほうが収入も上がるし、役職も上がるしって思ったんですけど(笑)" meaning she would earn more than her partner through the promotion or that she actively wanted to earn more and have a better occupation? Jul 2, 2020 at 18:27
  • @lightofgold, 打診を受けるたびに悩みました → Every time their company suggested a promotion to her, she had a hard time deciding whether to accept or not. 完全に私のほうが収入も上がるし、役職も上がるしって思ったんですけど → She knew that she would earn more than her boyfriend and be in an upper position, でも、その役職を引き受けるって決めて → but she decided to accept the offer, 実際になったら → and when she actually got a promotion, 別れちゃったんです → she broke up with her boyfriend.
    – chocolate
    Jul 3, 2020 at 3:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .